Hello, I’m Johanna. I spent part of my childhood in Taiwan, so I can speak a little bit of Chinese. I live about an hour from Melbourne, Australia, in a cream-coloured house surrounded by roses, magnolias and wisteria, with my dashingly nerdy husband Nathan and two rambunctious dogs, Posie and Rupert. We also recently adopted two rescue kittens, Clover and Plato. I have a degree in professional/creative writing, literary studies and children’s literature; currently not doing honours, but maybe next year. I love: reading, dumplings, summer, wearing dresses, good poetry, flowers, yoga, music, skiing, travelling, taking photos and playing scrabble. I also love playing Age of Empires, eating raw cookie dough, buying plane tickets, and wearing clothes with animal motifs.
Thirteen things you now know about me:
- I used to run a business creating felt flower wedding bouquets for brides all over the world.
- My favourite pizza is topped with prosciutto, prawns and avocado.
- We don’t have cable TV because I would just watch TLC non-stop if we did.
- My nose has a significant scar on it from a work accident when I was 15.
- I am known to talk in my sleep.
- Nathan and I got married in September 2017 on our ten year anniversary.
- My favourite movie is probably How to Make an American Quilt.
- I am terrified of moths, but butterflies are fine – it’s the way their wings move.
- I really like the number thirteen, maybe because it’s my birthday.
- I have only really been tanned one time in my life, then never again.
- I have depression and a few other things going on, which sometimes make life hard.
- I built my first website in 1997, writing the code in Notepad.
- I am a terrible insomniac and cannot sleep, at all, without medication.
This blog is a place to chronicle my grandest adventures, but also my smallest moments of the everyday. It’s a bit of everything. Thank you for reading!